Tuesday, May 20, 2008

School

We got our final grades for school today. I got an A in Nutrition and Diet Therapy and a B in Microbiology. YEAH ME. I will have to tell you a little about my classes. Nutrition and Diet we were told at the beginning of the class that we would have to write a 4 page paper on a topic so I chose nutrition in the elderly as I know something about that. Well then I sat down and wrote everything I could think of that I knew at that moment on elderly nutrition and titled it Elderly nutrition paper/notes, and forgot about it. That was clear back the beginning of Feb. So May comes around and I have this paper to write so I get a bunch of books from the library and very carefully write a 4 page paper on elderly nutrition. Then on the day it is to be submitted I submit my notes!! This I don't realize until I am checking my outgoing mail and see the attachment. Well I thought I was really going to flub that class up and was thankful I had a 98 in it as the paper was worth a third of the class as well as the final. So I am thinking if I totally messed up at least I would get a C and not have to retake the class. So last week I get my graded paper back from my teacher who gave me a 89 with a comment very simple but nice paper and you might want to use elderly instead of we. Well needless to say I was very shocked at such a good grade from random thoughts of the top of my head.

Microbiology I really enjoyed the lab class and didn't much enjoy the lecture part. So my good grad in that comes from the Lab part. For are final in lab we were given a tube of unkown microbes that we had to plate and figure out what they were by gram staining. We had gram stained everything that might be in our tube and each tube had 3-4 microbes in it. We had to find and identify at least 2 and hopefully three. Well at the begining of this process our teacher told us that the 3rd microbe she could not get to grow so we would probably only be able to get 2 at best. Well first I discovered that the third microbe that the teacher could not get to grow was growing quite well on my plate so that was one bonus and the second bonus was that I actually had a 4th microbe in my tube. Well cool a bunch of bonus points so out of a 150 page paper that most students were only going to get 125 points out of because of the microbes not growing I got 175 because mine grew and I figured out what they were plus identifying one we had not studied. So that really helped on that grade. All for today.

3 comments:

Huisman5 said...

Hmmm!? Elderly nutrition?! Yes, you have had a "taste" of that in your experiences! I still always think of the lady you took care of that wanted to put her hamburger in the dryer!

Huisman5 said...

P.S. You need to post some pictures on your blog! I'd like to see "your guy"!

The J's said...

Yes Jeanne...I know you don't have a camera, but I'm sure Lynisha would be happy to oblige you by taking your picture..... (or I mean HIS at least!!)